In 2015 we decided to add another breed of sheep to South Yeo. Herdwicks are renowned for being the hardiest breed of UK sheep and although Cumbria is their main home, there are plenty up on Dartmoor. In 2016, hugely enjoying the breed, we added significantly to the flock with Cumbrian stock from the Weir family in Borrowdale. They are strong boned – their legs are significantly sturdier than those of our other breeds – have coarse wool, and are extremely agile, used to coping with mountain grazing. On harsh terrain they tend to have just the one lamb – born entirely black – but we have found on our kinder pasture that the majority of our ewes produce twins. As they mature the heads and legs become completely white and the black coat turns first brown and then grey.
YOUNG HERDWICK EWE
Like the rest of our sheep breeds, the ewes are polled (hornless) and the rams horned. The breed is what we can only describe as independent; not flighty, just preferring to look after themselves. We are growing on all the lambs not intended for the breeding flock as hogget so that we and our customers can enjoy the wonderful deep flavour. The Herdwicks are the final addition to our South Yeo sheep breeds – and we are delighted with them.
We have Herdwick livestock and lamb, hogget and mutton boxes available at various times of the year so please contact us for further information. We will give support to first time keepers and you might like to join one of our smallholder training courses.
- Pedigree Devon Ruby heifers (South Yeo Sapphire & South Yeo Sunstone) and 2014 born cow (South Yeo Onyx) with steered bull calf Tigereye at foot, all available now. Please contact us for more details.
- Badger Face Torwen & Torddu registered ewe hoggs available born March 2018.
- Taking orders for Welsh Mountain, Dartmoor and Herdwick hogget boxes for delivery May 2019. To place an order please contact us. You won't be invoiced until closer to delivery time.
- Taking orders for Devon Ruby beef boxes for delivery in June, October and November 2019. To reserve your box please contact us.
- Raw fleeces from our Herdwick, Torddu and Torwen Badger Face sheep.
- We have our beautiful curly Whiteface Dartmoor lambskins in stock at the moment. Herdwick, Torddu & Torwen Badger Face lambskins back in stock February 2019
- If you would like to go on our meat mailing list please get in touch.
OUR OTHER SHEEP