Our pigs are the Yeoman herd of pedigree Berkshires. These hairy black pigs with white snouts, feet and tail tips are a hardy, outdoor rare breed, on the Rare Breed Survival Trust’s vulnerable list. Unlike pink pigs they aren’t prone to sunburn, and thrive outdoors.
Berkshires produce exceptionally succulent meat with an amazing texture that can’t be beaten whether it’s as pork, gammon, bacon or sausages. Intriguingly, they kill out with white skin (their hair is black, not their skin – check out that snout) , so you don’t get black crackling or bacon rind.
Our pigs are kept in groups, freely supplementing their diet with grass, herbs and roots, and have straw filled arks for shelter. Sows are brought into the cob barn just before farrowing and are back outdoors with their piglets when they are ten days old. If winters are very wet we can bring the pigs inside to give them and the land a break.
Berkshire pork is known in Japan as Kurobuta pork, revered as the world’s best pork because of its rich, juicy, tender, flavoursome qualities. But you don’t have to travel to Japan to try it as we courier our pork and gammon direct to your door.
We do have young stock for sale. Weaners are normally ready to go to their new homes (wormed) in their ninth week. Being pedigree animals, all our stock is birth notified with the British Pig Association, and well marked examples with good conformation that meet the breed standard can be registered for a small additional fee. Our foundation stock are from the Excelsa and Orlando bloodlines. We will sell a minimum of two weaners at a time unless you already have pigs at home, as they require company.
Our weaners (gilts and boars) are £60 each (£71 if registered to cover registration and transfer fees) at 8-10 weeks old. Registered stock are sold with their BPA papers and are double ear tagged rather than ear notched to preserve their natural ear shape. Older stock will be charged according to age to cover the cost of feed.
Pork, gammon and bacon
We courier our amazing Berkshire meat fresh to your door. Details are on our meat box page.
Fame! Our Berkshires are featured in Jack Byard’s book “Know Your Pigs”
- Pedigree Devon Ruby heifers (South Yeo Sapphire & South Yeo Sunstone) and 2014 born cow (South Yeo Onyx) with steered bull calf Tigereye at foot, all available now. Please contact us for more details.
- Badger Face Torwen & Torddu registered ewe hoggs available born March 2018.
- Taking orders for Welsh Mountain, Dartmoor and Herdwick hogget boxes for delivery May 2019. To place an order please contact us. You won't be invoiced until closer to delivery time.
- Taking orders for Devon Ruby beef boxes for delivery in June, October and November 2019. To reserve your box please contact us.
- Raw fleeces from our Herdwick, Torddu and Torwen Badger Face sheep.
- We have our beautiful curly Whiteface Dartmoor lambskins in stock at the moment. Herdwick, Torddu & Torwen Badger Face lambskins back in stock February 2019
- If you would like to go on our meat mailing list please get in touch.